Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Post In Which I Talk About My Husband

The reason that I am writing this is because I told N that I wasn't sleepy. I said I wanted to blog but I had nothing to blog about. So he casually said, "Blog about me." How in the world am I supposed to resist an invitation such as that! Yeow! 

This leads me to tell you the story of our relationship....
The man with me in the above picture is my husband. When he was my boyfriend
We have both changed a lot since then.
1. We have both cut our hair.
2. He doesn't wear a necklace anymore.
3. The hat on his head is now at least 3 times lighter. And 20 times stinkier.
 (I think I have it hidden from him)
4. I am not that tan. 
5. His face isn't that skinny. I will blame my cooking on that one.


Below is where is all began. Camp Lake Stephens. Oxford, MS. 
This was a camp for special needs adults. I was a budding college freshman and he was a bachelor of a sophomore. (When I say bachelor, he was a very fresh bachelor. When I say fresh I mean he was stilltalkingtotheexonthephoneatthiscamp fresh.) Don't judge me for pouncing on a hot Christian guy when I could. Sista should have treated him better. Or not. Because then I wouldn't have him. So thank you Ex. I owe it all to you maybe a teeny weeny fraction of a decimal to you. The rest goes to God's divine plan. 


MSU. My Alumni. 
We dated for 3 1/2 years. Two of those we were at all times at least an hour away from each other. Some of that time we were 2 hours away from each other. That made for a lot of phone time. And tears. And getting to know each other more than we otherwise probably would have. Looking back on it, I wouldn't have had it any other way. We are the couple we are because of that time. During these 3 1/2 years...
HE...
1. Worked as a youth minister intern
2. Took me hunting 1 too many times
3. Surrendered to the ministry
4. Made me pee my pants from laughing so hard at his crazy antics
5. Made me love him more than I knew was possible. 
6. Became a real-life minister
7. Graduated college.

I...
1. Took classed to become a Special Education teacher
2. Worked at the same church he has a year before as a youth intern
3. Prayed that a certain red headed boy would find it in his heart to marry a blond (by the box) headed girl.
4. Entertained the thought of being a girl's youth minister. And just as fast dismissed it. 
5. Moved 3 times. 
6. Loved on this lady.

After a lot of this, and even more face to face begging and pleading and discussing our future...I became the luckiest girl in the world. 

And the madness began. I immediately planned a wedding while he so sweetly nodded his head when appropriate and acted as he is cared when I needed him to. He was such a wonderful fiance. He even took precious pictures with me. See...

Isn't he handsome. I think so. I hope our children look like him. 


9 months later, the day that I longed for all my life came true. That boy really married me.
And marriage has been the best thing that I have ever experienced this. 
As I write this in bed, the man of my dreams, the father of our future children, my soul mate and best friend lies next to me. Asleep. Peaceful. 

That is our relationship. Peaceful. Rest. 

There is no way in the world that I could ever describe the love that we share for each other. And some things I don't want to share because they belong to just us. But I will share this...

Love, when ordained and willed by God is perfect and whole. I am so glad I had my heart broken so many times before N. If I hadn't experienced loss and pain, I would have never know what it is like to be this whole. Our journey has been long. It has had so many ups and downs. It is crazy at times. But it is perfect. Absolutely perfect. 

2 comments:

ashmhendrix said...

Goodness, we had some good times, eh! :) Hope you are doing good! I'm glad you and Nate are doing so well! Love!

Nicole said...

This post just makes me smile. I hope to have as much love in a marriage as you do!