Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Why We Aren't Adopting a Black Child

Racial tension and inequality is something I have always been aware of. Heck, I live in the deep south. The tension is there. But it has never had a direct affect on me.

Until now, that is.

When we made our decision to adopt, people gave their "oh wow. Bless your hearts for doing something so good" and their "congratulations! how old will they be?"

Then the process continued. We were really going through with this and not everyone agreed with our decision.

And then we got some cruel statements. Statements like "I can't believe you are bringing a black baby into our family" and "why don't you just have more...you make such cute kids" and then there was "why does it have to be Africa, white babies here need homes too."

My heart sank. It was the first time (and I know its far from the last) that racism took a bite at me. That sounds like I am on a high horse and have been naive to it, but thats just not true. My heart has been pained since I could understand the difference but I didn't know my roll in this social tug-o-war.

So I count it all up to being naive. People are so plagued with generational opinions on race and who is superior that they won't let their view point go long enough to see that thats just not the way it is anymore. People would rather chose to believe that races are meant to stay separate. They truly think that my two biological children will be damaged by having a bother or sister with a different skin color. Its just plain naive. And maybe even ignorant.

So no, we aren't adopting a black child.

We are adopting a child. End of story. Their skin happens to be brown (thats what we refer to it in this house) but thats just their color of their nationality.

We are adopting a child. A child who lives in an orphanage because their birth mother or father couldn't or wouldn't care for them. A child who has nothing to their name except their name. A child who has experienced more loss and reject than most of us in America ever will.

We are adopting a child. Because thats what Jesus told us to do. When we experienced Lesotho and we held beautiful brown children in our hands, when we saw the pain in their eyes, the longing in their bodies to be held...thats when we knew we were going to adopt from Africa. When Jesus spoke it to our heart.

I have heard so many times in this adoption that "love is color blind". I can't get over that statement. Some days I want to agree and some days I want to hit who ever coined it. No one is color blind. Not in this sense of the term. I know full well my child will have dark skin and I have light skin. I know that this will bring its own challenges especially as they get older. But I choose to love them. Not in spite of their skin color. Not look past their skin color. But them. I choose to love them. All of them. Their different color, their different hair, and the scars that they bring. I choose to love them.

So no. We aren't adopting a black child. Or a brown child. Or how ever else you want to define my child. But if you do chose to define them, please refer to them as a Russell child.




12 comments:

Nathan said...

Proud... I am proud to call you my wife.

Blaine said...

This is the best blog on this topic. Your words are so encouraging. The ledbetters are excited for you guys!!

Nonny said...

Love your love for God and His children. Our family has been blessed by adoption as well! I would like to add that there are so many children in the U.S. that long for that kind of love that can see them as a child of God and not a child of color. <3
Love and best wishes,
The Nicklesons

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you and your husband. And Imy blessed to know someone who looks beyond color to share their love of God and his message

Unknown said...

Oh that just hurts my heart! I pray that when these people meet your child, their hearts will be changed. We just came back from Beautiful Gate and we fell in love with those kids. Every child deserves to know they are loved. No matter the color.

Meredith said...

love this so true, my daughter is biracial and I love when black women tell me I'm raising a black child, um no last I checked she is biracial and is both black and white and beautiful for both sides!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. We also have 2 children by birth and a 7 year old we adopted from the foster care system with a different skin color than ours. I wish I could say we have never encountered racism however that is not true. What we have seen though is her soften the hearts of many family members that we raised to be racist. The Lord has used this little girls in many lives and I pray the same for your family.

The Browns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Browns said...

So many people should read this post. We experienced the same comments during our adoption process getting our son from Nepal. Strangers who claimed to be Christians would ask us why we didn't adopt from the U.S.? My response, this is a child of God who needs a home. Thank you for sharing!

Fellow Adoptive Mama said...

Whitney,
I beg of you to rethink your statement

"So no, we aren't adopting a black child.

We are adopting a child. End of story. Their skin happens to be brown (thats what we refer to it in this house) but thats just their color of their nationality."

I am a white adoptive parent to a black child and it is my duty to raise her to be aware and proud of her race and her race's history, culture, and struggles.

I, too, am in the South and you and I both know that the world will not just see our children as a child who's skin "happens to be brown." My child will be seen as Black. Your child will be seen as Black. To not realize that is naive.

I, too, am a Christian and felt called to adopt without a preference of race because I want to treat all of God's children as He treats them….equally. However, our world is sinful and broken and that is now how the world (and especially this country) will treat our children.

Anonymous said...

There is a very good fb page, not sure if you are on fb or not, that helps prepare parents to raise a child in a transracial adoption. it is called transracial adoption. you might want to check it out in your preparations to bring your child home.

Anonymous said...

Please consider joining the transracial adoption group on Facebook. I felt much the same as you before adopting my daughters from Uganda, but could not disagree more after being a part of this wonderful Transracial Adoption community on Facebook. So much to learn there and I'm grateful to have started conversations with my girls at a young age. Congratulations on your adoption!