Saturday, June 4, 2011

Funny story

I mentioned on my weekly post this week that my doctor wrote me an antibiotic prescription in hopes to fix what may or may not be a urinary tract infection. So I went to fill it yesterday morning at our local Walgreens. When I dropped it off, I was asked if I was allergic to anything. Penicillin. That’s what I said.

The tech gave me a funny look, looked back at he prescription, then back at me. “OOOOOkk” he said slowly and cautiously.

While he was filling my request, I went on to look around at others essentials-fingernail polish, candy, and makeup. (I did happen to find the best fingernail polish ever!)

When my name was called I returned back to the counter to pick up my meds. Then the tech looked at me and told me that there was a slight chance that I would have an allergic reaction to this medicine, but since it is what my doctor prescribed, he couldn’t give me anything else.

He also pointed at the wall of medicines behind me and said, “You may want to go ahead and pick up some Benadryl.”

WHAT? Is this going to be that serious! My brother is getting married tomorrow and I am already in pain due to said problem in which the antibiotic was written for in the first place! I can not have a reaction to this medicine. All of those thoughts went through my head.

But then I remembered who I was and what my maiden name is (it is Rodgers and in my family there is this thing called the Rodgers curse-and it is fierce when it strikes.) I counted all hopes that nothing would go wrong as a loss and just knew that the inevitable would happen.

I proceeded to my mothers house to help her get ready for my brothers wedding-which happens to be in her back yard. I grabbed a bite to eat when I got there and popped my first pill. I was given the task of making the dips. When I was elbow deep in shrimp dip, it started. My feet were on fire itching.  And they were starting to get red splotches all over them. And I felt like they were swelling. Crap.

I finished the dip (while looking quite silly from scratching one foot with the other and vice versa the whole time) and went out to my mom. She confirmed that I was having a reaction and instructed me to call my doctor. I did, but not before I felt like I had ants all over my body. From my scalp to my toes, I itched.

And to top it off, family was on their way in town. I needed relief-and fast! So I got in touch with my doctor’s office and was instructed to take a Benadryl and stay out of the heat. No problem right…wrong! Family arrived just after I took my first pink pill. Just in time for me to be groggy and in need of a nap due to the Benadryl. I hated to do it, but I had to go and lay down and leave family for a little while. Not something I do-people, I am a family girl!

To wrap this story up, nothing in this pregnancy is going to go easy I have found. Nothing. So I was written a new prescription and everything seems to be going my smoother now. Praise Jesus! Other than still itching. And itching. And itching.

And itching.

1 comments:

Nicole said...

I had no idea your brother was getting married so soon! SO fun! I hope they get those meds under control!